College in the classroom

NUHS offers multiple college classes for students to take in high school
Mrs. Hemillers College Algebra students working on their homework.
Mrs. Hemiller’s College Algebra students working on their homework.

As pursuing higher education becomes more competitive and financially demanding, a growing number of students are seizing the opportunity to gain a head start on their college journey by enrolling in college-level courses while still in high school.

The heart of this trend is dual enrollment programs that allow high school students to earn college credits while fulfilling their graduation requirements. “NUHS currently offers a total of 14 college courses with a total of 52 college credits,” said Ms. Frank.

Mrs. Hemiller, the teacher for all math college courses

There are unlimited benefits to taking college courses that go beyond academic growth. “There are lots of positives! One is that students who take multiple concurrent enrollment classes may be able to complete college earlier,” said Mrs. Hemiller. Participating in dual enrollment programs prepares students for challenges that may lie ahead. 

Mrs. Hemiller works with Bemidji State University for all three of NUHS’s college-level math classes (College Algebra, Trigonometry, and Calculus 1). NUHS currently has 7 teachers teaching college courses. This means they either have a Master’s degree in the subject area of the course being taught, or at least a Master’s degree in some other area plus 18 graduate-level credits in the subject being taught.

As the popularity of dual enrollment continues to rise, the educational outlook is evolving to accommodate the desires and needs of a new generation. NUHS is hoping to increase the number of college courses offered. “We are always looking at our offerings and how to support student needs. We are actively pursuing more options,” said Ms. Frank.

The dual enrollment programs offer a pathway to opportunity for students who might otherwise have faced barriers. Students are shaping their own educational journeys by embracing the opportunities presented by college classes in high school.