A fine arts advocate

The new Fine Arts Booster Club provides funds and more to various programs
The new clubs logo has been seen at many fine arts events as they promote their image to parents and the community.
The new club’s logo has been seen at many fine arts events as they promote their image to parents and the community.

Event fees, Costumes, New Pianos, and Pizza. All of these are provided by the Fine Arts Booster Club for various activities within New Ulm High School. Established in May of 2023, they partner with the school’s Activities Director, Fine Arts Program Advisors, and Program Representatives, seeking to promote and support the New Ulm High School Fine Arts Programs and their participants.

The Fine Arts Booster Club poses while in the Homecoming parade.

Former superintendent Jeff Bertrang recommended in January 2023 to Christie Dewanz, a school board member and member of the previous but non-functioning NUHS Music Boosters, that Laura Schotzko could start a new Fine Arts Booster Club. Schotzko accepted the challenge and rallied many other parents and fans of the fine arts to form an executive board. She gained insight by observing the existing Eagles Unified Athletic Boosters. Once they filed for a 5013-C, they were off and running.

“We currently have Band, Choir, Drama, Knowledge Bowl, and Robotics Programs which we support by providing a food allowance, a program shirt allowance, and a means to augment the programs with wants over what the school can provide,” Schotzko said. “Another area of our mission to promote Fine Arts has been done by advertising concerts and productions on the New Ulm Chamber Calendar.” Schotzko also noted the use of their Facebook page which highlights the accomplishments of programs. Promoting events and finding a coach for the robotics team is just part of the work done behind the scenes.

The Fine Arts Boosters Club planned and promoted the Alumni Choir at the Christmas Concert, featuring former director Al Hawkins.

Their largest project has been the Poinsettia fundraiser this past fall. Schotzko said they would like to continue this for next year. “As we’re a new non-profit, community awareness and fundraising are a focus for us right now.” The Fine Arts Booster Club plans to host a new Summer Showcase Fundraiser at the State Street Theater on June 27. The current vision is to have appetizers, beverages, raffles, and musical acts perform.

“Our biggest success has been the process of incorporating and getting the Fine Arts Programs the added support they’ve been lacking for the last 5 years,” Shotzko said. She wants to make sure that all students and advisors know they have a group behind them and will continue to value them. “Our future goals are to be well-known in New Ulm for supporting Fine Arts Programs and having the ability to fundraise enough to provide the NUHS Fine Arts students the extras that make them feel valued and enhance their education.”

They get us things that our regular budget won’t cover.

— Mr. Olson, Director of Choirs

They provide financial backing for entrances to events and subsidies for T-shirts to show our pride as a band.

— Mr. Claussen, Band Director

They’ve provided us with more resources and opportunities to help us reach our goals.

— Mrs. Cowles, Theater Director

The club did some advertising and promotions for us. They are helping spread the word in the fine arts community.

— Joe Schotzko, Robotics Coach

Covering our new equipment and state tournament costs has been incredible. They are amazing.

— Mr. Graham, Knowledge Bowl Coach