Students on the Road

Ms. Schneider’s Interior Design students take a trip to New Ulm’s Home Design Center.
Students on the Road

It’s a place where people can find the home of their dreams, starting with an idea and moving to the final product. Home Design Center does everything from the blueprints to the countertops. The building is filled with everything you would ever need to decorate and build your next home. There are ample carpets, tiles, flooring, cabinets, and windows. The employees at Home Design Center will walk you through the entire process and help with every step.

Students from Ms. Schneiders’s Interior Design class had the opportunity to tour the Home Design Center and get an inside scoop on what the employees do. While at Home Design Center, draftsperson Alex Moe walked the students through the blueprint process and showed them how to transfer the blueprints onto a digital app to create a replica of what the home will look like. Along with the online process, the students saw the Home Design Center inventory, like the lumber, carpets, and cabinets.

When touring the buildings, many students were surprised by how much Home Design Center offers. “Not very many people understand the number of things we can do and have here,” interior design and architectural draftsperson Sue Sullivan said, and soon after students got the complete understanding of what Sullivan meant. With all of the Home Design Center interiors to pick from inside, they do a lot of building themselves. On the side of their lumberyard, they have a woodshop for building. They will develop cabinets and floors and resize furniture to the perfect fit. There is also a detached facility with many rugs and carpets waiting for their future home.

This trip was planned out perfectly as Interior Design students just got done with their built environment unit. In this past unit, students learned how to draw their floor plan designs and put them into a website similar to what the employees at Design Home Center use. Students also learned how to make elevation sketches and pick what the inside of their homes would look like while using floorplanner.com to create their homes.

As the students left the Home Design Center, the class was gifted many samples like carpet, paint, wood, wallpaper, tiles, etc., as the Home Design Center had no use for them anymore. “I was surprised at how much they gave us, but I am very grateful and excited,” Ms. Schneider said. The students in interior design will use all of these things in future projects, including their next unit, where they will explore all kinds of interiors used in homes. They will also have a project where they can imagine their dream home and make a mood board of everything they would love to have. The samples will be used on the mood boards for students to express their dream homes.