Student news site of New Ulm High School

The Eagle Online

The Eagle Online

The Eagle Online

Happy Hot Chocolate Days!

Pottery and Sculpture students hosting homemade Holiday Hot Chocolate Party
Some of the Students mugs!
Afton Hulke
Some of the Students mugs!

Miss Page and her Pottery and Sculpture students are getting in that holiday spirit by throwing a hot chocolate party the Thursday before we go on break!

There are only two pottery and sculpture classes this semester that will be a part of it this year. They make all sorts of clay projects like mugs, masks, and more! Sophomore pottery and sculpture student Maddi Olson said, “I may not be the best at creating my art projects and glazing them, but I am always having a blast in this class with my friends.” For every project, the students get to paint and glaze them in whichever color they please.

This project had more of an impact on the students because of getting to put all of their hard work to use. Out of many of the projects they make, this has been the class’s favorite one by far, said Miss Page. Not only do the kids just love to have fun with their classmates when completing them, but they also love the fact that they can take them home and put them to use on their own time as well. Miss Page also will get involved and make her own so she can have one to put to use at home too!

She also wasn’t a stranger to this hot chocolate party. Page said, “I have done this every year with my students except one year we made Tic-Tac-Toe boards instead.” The Tic-Tac-Toe boards were made instead of the mugs because of Covid 19, which restricted the class from having a hot chocolate party. Instead, they had a board game day before break which can be just as fun! Miss Page said now she has a backup plan if things don’t go the way she wants with the mugs.

Another key aspect of why the students are excited about this party is because that means it’s almost Christmas break, and Christmas break means no school! Maddi Olson said she is counting down the days until we get to have the hot chocolate party and she gets to press pause on the whole school aspect. As many of the students will miss the projects they do and the people around them, they couldn’t be happier that Christmas break is finally here and there is no better way to start it than with hot chocolate and no school work.

Final Look of the Students Mugs! (Afton Hulke)
In action! (Afton Hulke)
Sophia sippin’ on her hot chocolate and Dirk showing off his previous project! (Afton Hulke)

To complete this hot chocolate day, Miss Page explained the process that the class goes through. Once the students have created their clay projects they have to sit out on the shelves for a couple of days to bone dry to get all of the liquid out of them. Then, they will be placed in the kiln for a day to form and harden the clay. After that, the students then get to glaze them. Once that is completed they are placed in the kiln for once last drying of the clay and glaze.

After those steps are complete their projects are finally all done, and their mugs are ready for sippin’!