Student news site of New Ulm High School

The Eagle Online

The Eagle Online

The Eagle Online

Laces hit the mat

First home dual for the eagles against Waseca

As the ref backs off while saying wrestle, both opponents square off moving in a circular motion looking for an opportunity to score on one another. Both wrestlers with different styles try to make something work, taking turns setting up and faking shots in the hope of finishing an attack and taking their opponent down.

This is the scenario for every wrestler who hits the mat for this year’s season opener for wrestling.

Other than one forfeit, New Ulm cruised past a young Waseca team. The Eagles are led by a strong core of seniors this year: Winston Neinhaus, Logan Lee, Ethan Lieb, and Evan Thompson. This year’s team for the Eagles is full of experience, having many wrestlers who have been wrestling since elementary school.

Senior Ethan Lieb said, “I think we have a real shot at doing something this year that’s never been done in New Ulm before, we have a really strong team.”  On top of having a strong team, the Eagles are confident in their ability to get things done this season.

For a lot of people, this season is the last chance for a while to go the distance and make a run at state. Senior Evan Thompson said, “This is a dream for all of us. We’ve all come up together seeing teams before try and fail and this year we feel like we have a chance.”