It’s Crushing Time

The New Ulm Clay Target Team started practice on Monday April, 3rd. All the students were very excited to be back at it and working towards high scores, and getting ready for state in June. There are about 42 students that we have heard up that signed up which is a big jump from last years team number at 30 students. Many of the students this year either shot for summer league, school or both last year. It’s amazing to see how much everyone improves as the years go on and even on a w

eek to week basis.

Trap shooting is a new sport to New Ulm Area Schools. NUHS got a team last year and MVL and Cathedal just started their teams this year. Trap is a great way to interact with friends and have fun at the same time. Personally I know that when my scores improve it makes me wanna shoot more, right now I shoot 3-4 days a week and depending on how I am feeling I’ll either shoot 1 round are up to 11 rounds.  A round consists of 25 shells and 5 stations.  You shoot 5 birds (clays) at one station, the you move to the next station. You usually have 5 people per squad (group). You have either hard lefts, hard rights, or straight away birds. If the bird is to your right or left you wanna stay in front of it or lead it. If it is going away from you, you’ll wanna follow it up and shoot it in the “butt” or the back of the bird.  The key to this sport just like any other is practice, practice, practice. Anyone who is interested in trap should come down to the Sioux Valley Gun Club on Monday’s we start shooting at 5:30 if you don’t wanna shoot you can come and watch. It is such a wonderful sport to be part of and you’ll have lots of fun out on the range and meeting new people.