New Athletic Director Offers Fresh Perspective

Photo by Gunnar Cowing

Mike Felber and the new AD

New Ulm High School has seen three different athletic directors in the past three years. Chad Eischens held the position for the 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 school years before leaving for Belle Plaine High School. Brad Ryan, who lasted only one school year, replaced Eischens in 2015. This year we have yet another new AD, Troy Guentzel. Mr. Guentzel takes over the job of assistant high school principal along with the athletic director position. The move to the new school will pose a set of unique challenges to Mr. Guentzel in his first year.

We conducted an interview with Mr. Guentzel and learned a few interesting things. Mr. Guentzel went to high school at St. Peter before attending Bemidji State University for his bachelor’s degree. He later completed a master’s degree at St. Mary’s University of Minnesota in Winona. Although this is his first job as athletic director, Mr. Guentzel has experience coaching and advising sports and activities in the past. Mr. Guentzel was heavily involved in high school activities as a teen, participating in cross-country, basketball, track and field, band, choir, and student council. Mr. Guentzel explained that his favorite high school sport was cross-country, although as a coach he prefers basketball.

Our new athletic director also shared some of his first impressions of the school. Mr. Guentzel told us he was impressed by the new facilities and opportunities available to students. The caring staff at NUHS also stood out. On Tuesday, September 13th, Mr. Guentzel got his first live look at the Eagles Squadron during our first home volleyball game. “Few things are better than a positive student section. Other schools should be jealous,” he commented. “I’ll love it as long as the Squadron stays ‘in-bounds’ on cheers,” Mr. Guentzel added with a volleyball pun.

Mr. Guentzel also weighed in on a few more serious and controversial topics. Some hockey players have felt that past athletic directors treated them unfairly. Mr. Guentzel asserted that he did not hold any bias against hockey and noted that Division I college hockey was one of the most enjoyable aspects of his Bemidji State experience. We also asked Mr. Guentzel about his position on the death of Harambe. Harambe, a silverback gorilla, was shot at the Cincinnati Zoo earlier this year after a small child fell into his enclosure. “Unfortunate situation with an unfortunate result,” was Mr. Guentzel’s response.

This school year is certainly quite different from any in the recent past. The addition of Troy Guentzel to our administration is an important change, and hopefully his energy and new perspective will translate into athletic success, improved activities, and an even better experience for NUHS students.