NUHS students talk about ethics

Students from NUHS and surrounding schools take the day to learn more about ethics
NUHS students talk about ethics

Students from NUHS, MVL, and CHS attended an ethics workshop on Tuesday, Oct. 17, presented by New Ulm rotary club members to prepare future leaders in the area.

The New Ulm Rotary Club is a service group in the community whose members are made up of people involved in the business world. The club was started in 1938 but didn’t start doing workshops for high school students until 2015.  The workshop includes students chosen by their school principals as leaders in their school or community. The students who attend spend their day at the New Ulm Country Club working through potential ethical problems many business people face in today’s society.

Presentations were given by different rotary members including the current President of the club Steve Friese. Friese presented the students with a four-way test that the Rotary Club refers to when making hard decisions.

Students then watched a scenario presented and put the four-way test into practice. Many students said they enjoyed using this test because it made challenging situations seem less complicated by looking at them from a different angle.

The rotary members include high schoolers in this workshop in hopes of benefiting the students in their future and the impact they can have on their generation.  “Something I hope students take away from this workshop is just to have some basis for making hard decisions in the future,” said club president Steve Friese.

Rotary member Kevin Sweeney(left) and MVL student Lukas  Freier(right) work through a situation with the four-way test. (Karlee Stocker)

NUHS students are expected to greatly benefit from attending the ethics workshop run by the Rotary Club, but do the students share the same feelings?

About 42 students from the high school were chosen to attend the ethics workshop, although many did not know what this workshop was about. Ethan Lieb, a student selected to attend the workshop, said that he has no expectations for the workshop but thinks he will learn something.

The information about the workshop was scarce among the students, but almost all students from NUHS attended because it got them out of school for the day. “The biggest thing I took away from the day was that using the four-way test of the Rotary Club will help me make ethical decisions in the future,” said Lieb.