Student news site of New Ulm High School

The Eagle Online

The Eagle Online

The Eagle Online

Seniors vs. Juniors

Mr. Graham’s Government class is having Seniors take on the Juniors in a Congress activity.
Mr.+Grahams+2nd+hour+getting+ready+for+debate.+
Chloe Geiger
Mr. Grahams 2nd hour getting ready for debate.

Seniors and Juniors at NUHS who are taking American Government were ready for major debating. Mr. Graham planned an activity where you get to make solutions to certain problems and have them go through the process of trying to get passed and making it to the presidential level.

During the second and fifth hours, Mr. Graham is splitting his class between Seniors and Juniors to make laws to pass through different levels. The classes must get the law passed three times before it gets sent to the president to decide if it becomes a law or not.

Mr. Graham’s 5th hour class

Senior Macey Nachreiner was asked how she felt the Congress activity went and if she found it educational. “Even though I wasn’t there for the debate part I felt the small group went very well. I also think it was educational in most of the aspects,” Nachreiner said.

The Seniors and Juniors were then split up amongst their groups into the House Committees and the Senate Committees. There are two different issues trying to be solved in the House. The issues for the House Committees are an environmental/food shortage and an educational problem. Both groups had to come up with solutions for each problem and then discuss with the other party in the opposite grade.

In the second hour, we had two supervisors looking over us watching and taking note of how we interacted with one another and how we dealt with debating. One supervisor, para Bobbie Altman, was asked how she felt the activity went and if it was useful. “It went very well. I also think it was successful. I feel the students learned a lot from this activity,” Altman said.

This showed different ways to interact with people especially if you want them to agree with you. It also helped us think of ways to help come up with solutions to problems. Overall the activity was very successful and very informational, and future classes should look forward to taking it and experiencing what happens in the real world.