A network of New Ulm students

Juniors at New Ulm High School take on the fall weather while exploring their community.
Net Work New Ulm Youth students pose in front of a hand painted New Ulm mural when on their historical tour of their town.
Sarah Seifert

Juniors and seniors from local high schools in New Ulm network around town discovering its unique history and learning new facts they may have never known before.

“The Program was started in 2001, followed by the youth branch shortly later,” said Net Work New Ulm advisor Sarah Seifert. It was originally started as a program for adults in the New Ulm community. It was used to encourage leadership skills among its members and give them opportunities to observe various aspects of our community.

Net Work New Ulm still continues today; however, the new youth branch still focuses on leadership, as well as community knowledge.

During the Wednesday, October 11 session students from neighboring New Ulm Schools spent the day touring the many historic sites New Ulm has to offer.

Junior Shelby Seifert poses in front of the New Ulm Herman Monument. Isabelle Miller

Net Work New Ulm Schedule

1st: Breakfast and icebreaker at the New Ulm Historial Society.

2nd: Tours of downtown New Ulm and the New Ulm Museum, learning about the U.S. Dakota War of 1862.

3rd: Climb of the New Ulm Herman Monument

4th: Lunch and learning at Turner Hall.

5th: Tour of the historical section of New Ulm’s Cemetary.

6th: Visit of the New Ulm Battery.

7th: Bus ride home and discussion time.

The program “is unlike anything I’ve done before, but the first couple of sessions have been fun and pretty interesting,” said Junior Jasmin Huerta.

If you’re going into your Junior or Senior year sign up for a chance to enhance your leadership skills, learn more about your community, and miss class for some fun activities.