Some of the students in the Network New Ulm Program. (Addy Fairbairn )
Some of the students in the Network New Ulm Program.

Addy Fairbairn

Networking in New Ulm

Juniors and Seniors from the local schools get involved in a networking program.

May 2, 2023

First Stop: Mr. Nelson’s room at New Ulm Public High School. On this day, we toured all of the area schools.

Second Stop: New Ulm Medical Center. This day, we got to learn how to do IVs by putting them into eggs.

Third Stop: The cemetery. We got to see the history of New Ulm and see important people’s graves who helped build our town.

This is Network New Ulm. Four schools in New Ulm, Minnesota are able to be a part of Network New Ulm Youth. Those four schools are New Ulm Public, Cathedral, MVL, and Riverbend. This year there were 11 Public kids, 11 Cathedral kids, and 1 MVL kid. A total of 22 students were in the program this year.

Every once a month on a Wednesday, we would all meet up together and do something around our community. We did so many things in just a short seven months that we were together. I will be talking about what we did in our April Session.

WCCO Reporter, Mike Max speaking to us. (Addy Fairbairn )

In April, we graduated from the program. It was at the New Ulm Country Club. We started the day by listening to WCCO Sports Reporter, Mike Max. He gave us an inspirational talk that we all have gifts, and we need to make sure we use those gifts. “Every day is a win!” said Max. After he left, we had an adult leader from our town come in and help us with a visioning project for New Ulm. It was a project of what we see New Ulm in 20 years. We then had lunch and it was a taco bar. We are always fed good food in this program. Finally, to end this day our parents came to see us graduate from the program. We all did presentations to show what we learned from this program.

We all received a certificate with a candy bar and a sticker. This was such a fun program. Junior Gracie Linbo said, “I would recommend this program. It was fun.”

They are now taking applications for the 2023-2024 program. Any current sophomores or juniors from the New Ulm Area schools are able to apply. You can apply by scanning the QR code on their Facebook (Network New Ulm Youth) or NUHS students can stop in the counseling office for the QR code.