What’s the deal with the TVs in the commons and computers in the halls?

Ever wondered what those things are for or how we use them?

More stories from Connor Drill

One of the student learning centers located on the second floor.

Just installed this last summer, the high school has a total of five new TVs hung on the walls of the commons. Additionally, there are eight computers located in the halls. Although they were installed during the summer, the system has existed since the school was built. The TVs are intended to have many uses and potential opportunities for students in the future.

The main uses of these will be communication. Whether that will be messages, displaying the news for the week or a schedule for a late start, these TVs will be a effective way of displaying important news. Some may wonder why they aren’t on right now – well, that’s because there is a problem in the system to get all of the screens to work together. The frustration was evident when interviewing Principal Bergman, who said: “I wanted them to be working about a year ago…” So, they should be working now but the tech office is working hard to fix the problem. Mr. Bergman said some examples of what can be shown on the screens include some live news or sporting events, and that we also may be able to display the Eagles News broadcast during the lunch hour to students.

New to the halls this school year, these student learning centers have had some mixed reactions. So, what are they for? Well, the student learning centers are meant for everybody to use. The main intention of these is to get students involved in a more collaborative environment and to promote a group-like work space. Students can access these by using their computer or iPad to airplay their screen onto the monitor. Collectively, students will be able to have up to four devices displayed on the monitor using a split screen feature. When asking teachers about the lack of use, a summary of the responses was along the lines of: sound idea, but still trying to figure out a practical application. So, administration is taking steps to get the teachers more involved in the student learning centers. Final words: be on the lookout – you may see some more action from those TVs and computers in the near future.