Garage Prom

Students still found a way to enjoy some normalcy of prom. April Lewandowski went all out on decorating her garage for her senior girls and their friends.

Garage and prom are two words you don’t imagine together. Prom is associated with elegant dresses and fancy decorations while garages are for parking your car and the lawnmower. In a world of covid restrictions, the two worlds came together.

Senior Alice Lewandowski and her date Kody Ranweiler went to New Ulm Public grand march on Saturday, April 24th. Lewandowski said: “The grand march was well organized and covid safe,” adding, “Everyone was 30 seconds behind each other and everyone wore masks.” While there was no dance after the march, many families put together a garage “prom” for the students. Lewandowski said her favorite part was getting together with her classmates to celebrate.

Senior Lilli Lewandowski went to Sleepy Eye Public School’s prom on Saturday, May 1st. Lewandowski said: “I wasn’t able to go to New Ulm’s prom because my date does not go to school in New Ulm.” New Ulm did not allow outside dates. “Sleepy Eye’s prom felt normal. They had a grand march, dance, meal, and an after-prom party.” Sleepy Eye put on a father-daughter dance outside after the grand march that many students enjoyed, including Lewandowski. She says her favorite part about prom was how normal it was and how she was able to have an actual senior prom.

Senior Lexi Stein did not go to prom this year. The reason why she didn’t go was that she couldn’t bring an outside date and she did not want to buy a $500 dress for a grand march. Stein said: “It wasn’t worth spending $400 for a dress, getting your hair and make-up done, and buying shoes and jewelry for a 15-minute walk.”  Stein did join her classmates at German park for pictures. She still enjoyed seeing all her classmates.

Even with covid restrictions, many students found a way to make their prom one to remember even if it was in the garage.