Student news site of New Ulm High School

The Eagle Online

The Eagle Online

The Eagle Online

Budding thespians

Drama students check out the theater workshop at Gustavus College.
NU students at Gustavus for a theater workshop.
Rory Juberien

On Friday, Feb. 16, theater instructor Ms. Cowles took 30 students to Gustavus College to learn how theater works in a more professional setting. The event started at 2 p.m. and ended with a show at 8.

Throughout the day, students from different towns learned new information to improve their love for theater. From acting practices to fire and water effects, there were activities for all theater nerds attending. “I was looking forward to learning about the fire and water effects; we don’t get to do them here, so it was something I wanted to learn about,” said sophomore Tyson Goold.

The attending students were also taken to the Gustavus cafeteria to look at and enjoy the food they offer. “Honestly, the cafeteria was quite overwhelming,” said senior Luka Deree. “There were so many food options, and it was crowded, but after you got through the crowd, the food was delicious.” Gustavus College offers many options for its students, from pasta and pizza to salads and sides and even to delectable desserts.

NUHS students ready and waiting for the performance of Cymbeline (Rory Juberien)

After eating dinner and finishing the tours and questions, students were treated to a performance of the Shakespeare play Cymbeline. The class only had positive comments about the show afterward. “The lighting and set were very well done; I saw some things I’d like to incorporate into our shows back at school,” said junior Britton Beran.