New Ulm High School Students Interacting with an Older Generation at Oak Hills Living Center

Household Coordinator Krissy Melzer

On Thursday, September 28th, we visited Oak Hills Living Center to interview Krissy Melzer (Household Coordinator) about her daily routine and the importance of high school employees and volunteers and how they make a difference at Oak Hills. Krissy has been working at Oak Hills for 15 years and started young. “Knowing that you really do make a difference in the residents’ lives and getting that ‘thank you’, hug, or smile from them is what keeps me doing what I do!”

After our interview, Krissy asked us if we wanted a tour of the facility. We saw that the residents have plenty to do from puzzles and bingo, to sitting around outdoors and listening to music. They also enjoy their cat, birds, and fish. They can’t do this on their own. We asked Krissy how important high school students and volunteers are and what benefits they bring to Oak Hills. “They are a huge benefit… just your personalities and the vibes you bring in is huge because the residents enjoy seeing your generation and it is important for you to see their generation as well.” Krissy said. She encourages high schoolers to get out of their comfort zone and experience the older generation.