Hyping Up for Hockey

New Ulm High School girls hockey team is getting ready for a new season, hoping for another taste of state this year.

The+New+Ulm+girls%27+hockey+season+is+beginning.+The+team+and+fans+are+excited+for+another+successful+season.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Hyping Up for Hockey

The New Ulm girls' hockey season is beginning. The team and fans are excited for another successful season.

Lucy Sletta

Lucy Sletta

Lucy Sletta

Lucy Sletta and Kareen Hammerschmidt

After getting a taste of state last year, the New Ulm High School girls hockey team is getting ready to start their new season. The new season started Tuesday, November 6. Kristen Faber coaches the girls hockey team, and the assistant coach is Jeremy Reed.  The two coaches are getting excited about the new season.

Kristen Faber is excited about the new hockey season. She believes that the team has a decent chance at making it to state again. “It’s a great group of girls that are hungry to be successful,” Faber said. She believes that this desire to keep improving will help the team have a higher chance of winning more games and getting to state. Not only is the head coach excited about this year but also the team captains.

The group decided on three team captains: Ashtyn Wiltscheck, Ally Steffensmeier, and Madeline Gag.

Senior captain Madeline Gag says the team plans to “work really hard in practice this year.” Madeline’s job on the team is to keep the girls focused and in a positive mood. Madeline is planning to play hockey for Gustavus in Saint Peter next year and says what she will miss the most is “the family bond we have here in New Ulm.” Until then Madeline will continue the hard work alongside the Eagles.

As if to capture the hunger to be successful, as stated by coach Faber, when asked what their goal was this year, Madeline says simply, “Score.”

Lucy Sletta, contributor

My name is Lucy Sletta and I am a senior at New Ulm High School. In my free time I like to hang out with my friends and family.

Kareen Hammerschmidt, Contributor

Hi! My name is Kareen and I am a senior at New Ulm High School. In my free time I love listening to music and attending NUHS events.