National Honor Society

The creation of a group in New Ulm Public School to recognize students in academics, community service and character.

The National Honor Society is designed to recognize admirable students in academics, community service, and leadership abilities. “It is known to identify the students that are in the most activities in our school,” said Mr. Ziemer, guidance councilor at NUHS. The National Honor Society was first started at New Ulm Public School in 1941 and is continued up to this day.

The many qualifications of becoming a member of the National Honor Society have changed throughout the years. When the group first started the requirements included a 3.0 G.P.A., being acknowledged of good character and community service hours. The qualifications have changed: the new criteria include a 3.5 G.P.A., and five different faculty members must review each applicant on a scale from 1-10. The applicants must receive a score of 7 or higher in all areas to be accepted.

The National Honor Society is designed to recognize admirable students who care about good grades, character and who care about community service. Hopefully, the National Honor Society can continue for years to come to keep celebrating exceptional students.