Four Square Privileges Suspended

Thursday’s announcements brought an unexpected surprise for the student body of New Ulm High School: four square will no longer be permitted in the high school parking lot.

The announcement read “due to continuous complaints from local residents we will no longer be able to allow evening four square in the parking lot. It is unfortunate that a few students ruin it for others. Law enforcement has tried to manage the issues and it continues to be an issue.”

We talked to assistant principal Troy Guentzel and asked him which specific complaints the school had against four square. He listed trespassing on athletic fields, staying past 11pm, and loud music as the most problematic parts of the student-led game. Mr. Guentzel added that he hopes to return the privilege to the students in the near future.

Mark Bergman, principal at NUHS, told us that loud music, especially loud bass, was the biggest concern for administration. He said he hoped to see a “growth in maturity” from the students, “that’s being a good neighbor, being responsible, being respectful.” Mr. Bergman has been a proponent of four square since the beginning of this year, but recent complaints have forced him to address the issues that four square caused for the surrounding community. Mr. Bergman reported that he has received frequent emails from the police department and multiple complaints from residents.

The future of the game is uncertain, but for now four square is not permitted by New Ulm High School.