Categories:

A Shocking Experience

New Ulm High School robotics team have a electrifying time
Robotics team posing for a photo
Robotics team posing for a photo

Sparks flying through the air, what’s going on?

The New Ulm High School robotics team went to the “FIRST Robotics Competition” in the Twin Cities. At the competition, their robots faced off against other schools in epic challenges. Their main goal was to give it their all in the ring but they always had time for some fun.

A quick fix before the competition

The six students spent their nights goofing off and playing plenty of video games. The students, coaches, mentors, and media crew enjoyed the weekend attending the competition and having their hard work pay off. The students had spent the time leading up to this event modifying a robot to help them compete. They 3D printed some of the parts and tinkered with the original bot. 

The “FIRST Robotics Competition” was founded in 1989 by Dean Karmen. “FIRST” Sands for “For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology”. The competition has grown and grown, starting with only 20 teams to now having nearly 3,500 teams. The goal of inspiring student’s interest and teaching STEM lives strong thanks to the competition. Students, coaches, and mentors work alongside each other to make the competition special.

“It was an enjoyable challenge and it was fun interacting with other teams,” said Britton Beran, a junior at New Ulm High School who has been a part of the robotics team since his sophomore year. This was an exciting experience for new and old members and left them all with memories that would last a lifetime.