Oak Street takes the stage to sing “Lord If I Get My Ticket” and “That Lonesome Road.” (Abbey Keister)
Oak Street takes the stage to sing “Lord If I Get My Ticket” and “That Lonesome Road.”

Abbey Keister

Superior Singers

April 2, 2023

Hamilton became popular on Broadway, Pokemon Go took over lives, and Stranger Things got its start.

That was 2016, and though it may not seem long ago, it was the last time Oak Street Singers had won Superior, the highest ranking at any Choir Contest. Oak Street Singers took a little break for a couple of years but made their comeback this year. Winning was quite the achievement for the new Choir Director Daniel Olson as well as the Oak Street singers.

Students on the bus, stoked. On their way to the competition (Josie Ringhofer)

“To be honest it was emotional when Oak Street got superior. With previous conversations with the community, faculty, and other students about the music department it was very special to be able to show New Ulm students what they are capable of doing. I am only opening doors – the students are the ones walking through,” Olson said.

Winning Superior is quite a big deal especially when the score ends up being 39 out of 40 and Oak Street got the highest rating out of everyone competing there. There were 7 different schools, and 9 different ensembles besides Oak Street competing.

How the scoring works is there are four different rankings any group could achieve. Those being fair, good, excellent, and superior, each better than the last.

Senior Claire Brown, who has been singing at NUHS for three years and has been to three competitions so far, can attest winning superior was quite an accomplishment. “I feel so incredibly proud and honored to have won a superior rating in the Oak Street singers,” she said. “The fact that we were able to create this group after it being gone for some time, and come together to form a beautiful ensemble is something I didn’t know would happen again. I am so proud of all of the talented members of our group and of course Mr. Olson for working hard and getting us the well-deserved superior rating.