Students working on their homework in the library due to the commons being full. (Bryn Nesvold)
Students working on their homework in the library due to the commons being full.

Bryn Nesvold

Chaos in the commons

Students crowd the upper commons during second hour to work on their school work.

February 22, 2023

Many upperclassmen have second hour free, causing there to be little to no room in the upper commons. The students work on their homework or do their post-secondary enrollment option (PSEO) classes during this time.

Compared to the other hours of the day, there are so many more students in the commons during second hour. Some students do not like how many people are in the commons because it can get a little loud at times. 

Students working on their homework in the upper commons. (Bryn Nesvold)

“I have decided just to go into the library every day because there is never enough room in the commons,” senior Addison Rustin said about her experience every morning. 

On the other hand, teachers enjoy it when the upper commons is filled with studious students. The teachers and librarian love to bring their students from various classes into the commons and library to work with their classmates.

Due to even more students coming into the commons, it can become a crowded place where many people are doing their work.

“I love it, it makes the day go by so much faster when students are in and out of the library throughout the day,” librarian Paula Clark said. She explained how she loves to help many students when they come in each hour.