Where are Seniors Going to College?

May 7, 2019

Which colleges are New Ulm High School seniors going to? For many high school seniors, going to college after graduation is a given. But going to college immediately after high school is not the right choice for everyone. When it comes to getting an education, there are a lot of places to choose from, and this survey summarizes the top 5 overall colleges that some of the New Ulm High School seniors are going to. With the 90 students that chose to take the survey, the responses made a pie chart.

#1: South Central College – Mankato

SCC is the top school with 17 seniors attending. It is a two-year comprehensive community and technical college located in Mankato, Minnesota. Grant Thomas spoke with our reporters about why he is choosing to attend SCC. He said, “It saves me time and money because I’m not paying/attending for classes that I am not going to need for my career field.”

#2: Mankato State University – Mankato

MSU is the second top school seniors are attending with a total of 14. Makena Otto explained why she is going there and why she thinks it is a top school for seniors to further their education. She said, “It’s a friendly, comfortable campus full of opportunities and it is very close to home.” MSU is located in Mankato, 30 minutes from New Ulm. Many students from previous years have also attended MSU for the same reasons.

#3: South Dakota State University – Brookings

South Dakota State University came in third with 7 New Ulm High School seniors attending. It is West of Minnesota in a town called Brookings with 13,000 students. Wyatt Roberts said, “ SDSU has a great campus, with nice people and it is not too far from home.” SDSU is a very popular school to go to, as seen from past seniors.

#4: Not attending

College is not the best fit for every student; some students want to work, travel or even to just take a break right after high school. With all the books, classes, housing, meals, and supplies the cost of college can be very expensive. Of those who responded to the survey, 6 seniors decided not to go to college,  or are taking a gap year.

#5: University of Minnesota – Twin Cities

The U of M is the biggest college on the top five list with 4 students going. With the wide variety of colleges students are attending, 4 students is a lot. The U is one of the biggest colleges in the U. S.,  with over 51, 000 students attending. According to the U of M website, there are 140+ majors to pick from, for a variety of interests which gives students many options for their future.

Alex Docherty and Ashtyn Wiltscheck wearing their college apparel.