New Ulm High School’s Adaptive Track Program

Senior, Sarah Longtin works with Junior, Ben Mathiowetz as an assistant coach for the Adaptive Track program at New Ulm High School.

THE+NEW+DUO+-+Sarah+Longtin+and+Ben+Mathiowetz+work+together+as+a+part+of+the+new+Adaptive+Track+Program+here+at+New+Ulm+High+School.+

THE NEW DUO – Sarah Longtin and Ben Mathiowetz work together as a part of the new Adaptive Track Program here at New Ulm High School.

This year the New Ulm Track team has added an opportunity for a student to become a coach for the Track and Field Adaptive Assistant program. Sarah Longtin, a senior at New Ulm High School, is the new assistant coach for the program. Sarah is in charge of working with junior Ben Mathiowetz who is a part of the adaptive track program. The program is a work in progress that hopes to eventually involve as many interested students as possible.

Sarah chose to apply for this job because she wanted to still be a part of the track team, but she did not want to participate in the actual events like she has the last four years. Sarah also loved the PEOPLE AIDE class which involves doing some of the same activities that she does with this job. Sarah said, “I knew Ben and his family as well, which made it even better!”  

When working with Ben, Sarah sits with him and waits for track practice to start, talking to the rest of the track team and sometimes doing some of the warm ups with the rest of the track athletes. After that, they go down and do a workout with the weights and some of Ben’s therapy skills. Most of the time Coach Asleson helps him do the actual throwing. Sarah works two to three days a week and also goes to a few of the home meets, Conferences, and Sections with Ben.

When interviewing Ben, I found out what events he participates in and what his favorite part of track is. Ben participates in shot put and discuss. He enjoys getting to meet up with his friends every practice and meet and improve his throwing skills. When asking Ben what his favorite memory is with Coach Sarah, he said, “Getting to see her every practice and wearing cool bucket hats each meet together.”

Ben’s primary coach is Megan Asleson, the main throwing coach for the New Ulm Track and Field Program. Coach Asleson says, “Working with Ben has been a joy and I love getting to work with him, seeing how far he has come in his rehab and being more independent.” Coach Asleson explained that the adaptive track program has been around since the spring of 2016 when Ben first showed interest in track and field. He is currently the only participant in the adaptive program, but there are younger students possibly coming up.

Ben is setting a new trend for the Adaptive opportunities at New Ulm High School.  Lastly, I asked Coach Asleson what the adaptive track program means to her and if she could explain what it actually is. She said, “I really enjoy having the adaptive track program! It allows students the ability to participate in athletic activities they may not be able to in a normal setting. It’s great to work with these athletes and see them grow and progress through the years. It is very similar to the mainstream events, but has modifications to specific disabilities.”