BeReal takes on New Ulm High School
BeReal takes on New Ulm High School

Let’s Be Real

If there was one picture to describe your whole day what would it be?

May 3, 2023

The app that came out in 2020 became very popular in the year 2022 last spring at NUHS. The app gives out an “It’s time to BeReal” notification at a random time during the day and you have two minutes to post what you are doing during that time, hence the name of the app. If you miss the BeReal it does allow you to take it at a later time but it will show that you posted late and how many retakes it has.

You can react to other people’s BeReal’s with what they call a “RealMoji,” almost like a like or reaction to someone’s post. You have the option between a thumbs up, laughing, surprised, smiling, or a lightning bolt to react with which looks like this in the picture. If you react with a lightning bolt that means the person took a picture of themselves at that moment. The other four are taken prior and saved permanently for a quick reaction.

Another really cool thing about BeReal is that you can go back onto the calendar that is on the app and see all of the BeReals you’ve taken over the years. You can even download an app to make a quick slideshow of every BeReal you have taken.

The big thing about BeReal is that is everyone really being real? Let’s ask some people from NUHS.

“I am fake all of the time, but I was real yesterday,” said Grace Shaneman. This is the case for many of the students here at NUHS. Most said that they will see the BeReal go off and they will wait to post it at a time they want to. But this defeats the purpose of being real.

Some BeReals are taken at the right time, either they are on vacation somewhere really scenic or they’re at a fun event. But others are taken at the wrong time, maybe in a bad or awkward situation. Here are some fun BeReals from local students.

Volleyball Squadron during pink out
Wednesday night senior volleyball

It’s always fun looking back on the BeReals that were taken during the beginning of the year with homecoming week going on as well as volleyball games because they always have the biggest and most fun squadrons showing up all dressed up in a theme.

“I like BeReal because it is a social platform that portrays reality on a regular basis day, unlike Instagram.” Karson Schmid said. Emma Gieseke added that BeReal still allows you to react with each other through reactions and comments but everything seems more real and simple on the app rather than on an Instagram platform.

Another really cool look into BeReal is that there is a discovery part of the app that allows you to interact and look at other people’s BeReals around the world. This is interesting because you can see all sorts of people and a glimpse into their lives as well as interact with them. BeReal is definitely one of the better apps to have because it is a fun platform to be on and interact with people.

BeReal of a summer trip to Okoboji
BeReal of reef making in Greenhouse Management class
Homecoming court out for dinner at the Country Club