Last man standing

Ben Hohensee remains the only senior playing baseball at New Ulm High School.

April 10, 2023

The New Ulm Varsity Baseball team has one senior on the team, which is very unusual for a varsity sport in high school. Ben Hohensee, who has been playing baseball through New Ulm school since 7th grade, continues to play as all of his former teammates in his grade decided not to play their senior year; if those students continued to play, the team would have five seniors including Ben.

Even though all of Ben’s friends in his grade have decided not to play anymore, he continues to play baseball because it is something he enjoys and is good at. “We have a young team, but I don’t think it will limit us too much; we still have a good competitive squad,” Ben said.

The young team does not limit their ability to be good out on the field, and they have a solid chance of doing well throughout the season. “We are excited to be back, and there are great opportunities to make the team, with only one senior and seven juniors,” Coach Briggs says.

The baseball team has been practicing in the gym and doing weightlifting due to the cold weather and not being able to be on the field, but they hope it warms up soon and they can get out to begin practice and start the games. The first varsity game is scheduled for April 4 at 5:30 p.m. at New Ulm High School in just a few short weeks. Hopefully, it starts to warm up so the game can continue and the season can move along.