Journalism students learning the dynamics of news reporting and writing. (Peter Engeldinger)
Journalism students learning the dynamics of news reporting and writing.

Peter Engeldinger

Getting the scoop at NUHS

Journalism students work on how to construct stories for The Eagle Online

February 13, 2023

Students at NUHS can enroll in an elective journalism class their junior or senior year in which they both learn about the larger topic of journalism as well as write actual news stories about events happening at the high school.

Journalism class is offered two times during the day, pictured here as an ‘early bird’ class and also period 5 during the day shown above.

The news site is called The Eagle Online and it is in its sixth year of publication, coinciding with the construction of the new high school in 2016.

“It’s kinda like putting the horse next to the cart, ” journalism teacher Peter Engeldinger said. “We are learning about journalism at the same time that we are writing journalism.”

Journalism has a long tradition at NUHS dating back to at least 1916 when the student newspaper was first introduced as The Graphos.

NUHS Principal Bergmann was instrumental in reviving the paper in a digital format since it wasn’t doing so well in the printed version. He said that it would be a shame to not offer a high school journalism class and that with the new high school it should also take on a new format that reflected the digital age we live in.

“We gotta have journalism. We’ll keep it in the course registration guide and then we’ll set up information areas to explain to students that and other areas we plan to explore at the new high school,” Bergman said.