Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon

It's that time of year again, the New Ulm High School is putting on a performance for the public.

Owen Wilkins, Contributor

This year’s play that New Ulm High School is performing is the Brothers Grimm Specaculathon. This show will take the fairy tales that kids have grown up with and turn them on their head, making them different, and much darker.

The Brothers Grimm are famous for their collection of original stories that Disney has morphed into children’s movies, with classics such as Hansel and Gretel, Snow White, Cinderella, and many more having a darker history than Disney put forward.

When asked how to describe this performance, production director Mrs. Thursby said, “The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon is a comedy based on the 209 fairytales that the Grimm brothers collected when they were alive. Many of these stories are known to us today including Cinderella, Hansel and Gretel, Snow White, and Rapunzel; however, these tales have their original endings intact, often including darker elements that were changed by Disney before going into production!  Our play includes the original tales, along with many others that are less familiar but equally entertaining.  Watch as our two narrators help guide us through stories in this tongue-and-cheek performance!”

Brian Longtin, one of the actors in the performance, described it as “a fast paced play that starts out all happy but gets darker towards the end. The whole story is told backwards.”

I recommend you do research into the stories themselves before deciding whether or not to bring small children to the performance, as the performance may not be suited for all audiences.

New Ulm High School’s production of the Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon is at 7 pm on March 16 and 17, with a $5 cost.