Oh Say Can You…… Knee?

Ben Trautmiller

In today’s world, there is no doubt that people want to protest or make known a topic they feel strongly about. In the NFL (National Football League), a past player of the San Francisco 49ers, Colin Kaepernick, sat during the National Anthem on Aug 26th, 2016. This sparked a huge wave of controversy. The main controversy is whether players should stand or kneel during the national anthem. A poll was taken at New Ulm High School of 110 students and staff on whether or not they think players should stand during the National Anthem. A yes answer meant it bugged them; they think that players should stand. A no answer meant that they either didn’t care or that it’s their constitutional right to decide. The result of the poll was 65% yes and 35% no. On the side of yes, some responses were: “It’s disrespectful to our flag,” “it’s disrespectful to the men and women who have served,” and “it’s a small, simple task to show your respect for the U.S.” Some of the no responses were: “I really don’t care,” “it’s not my choice,” and “they have the right to.”

As is evident, both sides have good points as to their opinions. There are a number of underlying facts that need to be discussed before an opinion can be reached. First, Kaepernick decided to sit out during the national anthem. When a veteran saw him and confronted him on the situation, they both came to the agreement to kneel instead of sit – still showing respect, but also showing protest. Second, the NFL states that players must only be present on the field during the national anthem and only suggests that they stand; they are not forced to. Third, there are now more players supporting Colin in his movement – some are now even locking arms to show they are united but oppressed. So what is your opinion? Should players stand or kneel?