Making the Squadron Great Again

New Ulm Eagles Squadron gathers to support volleyball team for the home opener

What is a squadron? Well, in New Ulm High School’s words, a squadron is a big group of students, grades 9th-12th, who dress up for different themes and support the Eagle’s sports. The squadron is run by the senior class and it is left in the hands of the seniors to organize dress-up themes, update the other classes on game times, and lead the squadron in cheers. The last few years of squadrons faced problems with following the rules set by the administration, along with organizing a squadron at all. There were times when the squadron would only consist of 10-15 students and had no true theme. Students seemed to stop showing their school spirit through the squadron.

This year is different though. Kelsi Miller, our new squadron leader, has been doing a great job keeping up with the twitter page, the themes, and the game updates. This year’s seniors have the goal to continue the tradition of the Eagle’s Squadron as well follow all the rules to make this year’s squadron the best the Eagles have seen.

The volleyball team is the first Eagles team to see the new and improved squadron. We asked senior Izzie Wolkow what her thoughts were on the new squadron compared to last years and she said, “I really enjoyed the atmosphere that the squadron brought, and I also thought all the cheering helped pump our team up.”

The squadron every year always seems to have difficulty with obeying the rules set by the administration, but this year the squadron is striving to make sure that all activities and chants are appropriate and acceptable. We asked Mr. Bergmann what he thought about this year’s squadron. His response was: “It makes me smile.” He talked about how he appreciates that this year’s squadron strives to listen to the supervisors and follows the rules set for the squadron. Mr. Bergmann also mentioned that the themes, energy and the positivity were amazing to see.