Lending a hand in elementary education

March 16, 2018

There is a class hidden in the Course Description Handbook of New Ulm High School. Under Physical Education and Health, course 662, hides Apprentice – a class where seniors can explore their possible career path.

The class started over 25 years ago as only a Phy-Ed apprentice. Students would walk from the high school to Jefferson Elementary to help out in gym classes. It has developed over the years with the cooperation between Mr. Bergmann, Mrs. Longtin, and the teachers at Jefferson. Students can now choose if they would rather assist in a classroom or specials, including phy-ed, music, art, or STEM. They can also choose if they want to work with the students at Washington Learning Center, which consists of students pre-K and kindergarten, or Jefferson Elementary, students in first through fourth grade.

Sam Denney, Ramsi Forst, and Sarah Preisinger work in kindergarten classes at Washington Learning Center; Michelle Gruber aides in a fourth grade classroom and Connor Foley helps out the phy-ed classes at Jefferson. They all said they loved writing the journals to look back for remembrance. They also enjoy attending the meetings to hear stories of other apprentice students while eating their donut. Forst and Denney mentioned their hope to pursue a career in elementary education, and others indicated their career involves children as well.

“I wanted to work with the kids in gym because I was planning to go for physical education, but I have changed my major,” explained Foley. Gruber said, “I would recommend this class because it is a great learning experience for anyone.”

I would recommend this class because it is a great learning experience for anyone.

— Michelle Gruber

The class is graded in three main portions: journals, meetings, and attendance. The journals are graded based on detail, described interactions with the students, and formal writing skills. Mrs. Longtin said, “The journals are something I added to the curriculum so that they [the students] can look back and remember what they did during the semester.” Weekly meetings are held to catch up on the week before and pass along information for upcoming events.

“We discuss things such as discipline, how to get more involved, taking initiative, and being a role model to the younger elementary students,” said Mrs. Longtin.

Attendance is the number one priority. Consistency and routine help out not only the students, but also the teacher.

“An extra pair of hands is always nice for the teachers,” said Mrs. Longtin, “even if it’s only for a short time. They appreciate any help.”

Sarah Longtin
HARD AT WORK Sage Lehman teaching her class about tadpoles

Apprentice advisor Mrs. Longtin, said, “This class gives students the opportunity to experience elementary education.” She has been the advisor for 15 years and has greatly shaped this program. The class was around before she was a teacher in New Ulm, but as a phy-ed teacher at Jefferson, she had the chance to see the beginnings of the class. Her connection with the program for so long has greatly impacted what it has become.

“It is very rewarding. Positive feedback from the teachers, teachable moments for the students, and the success stories all make the class so fun to advise,” said Mrs. Longtin. She explained, “Seeing students take this class, such as Sam Miller and Mrs. Brooks, then pursue a career in education is amazing.”