FIELD TRIPPIN’ FOR THE FUTURE. NUHS students load the bus for a college fair at South Central College. (Braden Zimmerman)
FIELD TRIPPIN’ FOR THE FUTURE. NUHS students load the bus for a college fair at South Central College.

Braden Zimmerman

On Friday, February 16th the New Ulm High School Freshman took a field trip to South Central College in Mankato. They got the whole day to explore and learn about different careers that were at SCC. There were many different careers at SCC, such as Marketing, Animation, Accounting, Art and many more. There would be a different career at every station and the Freshman would rotate stations. Some stations would have activities for the Freshman to do, depending on what the job or career it was. Two other schools, St. Peter and LeSueur, also attended this event .

NUHS business teacher Mrs. Ruch said, “This field trip was really good for the kids to be able to explore different careers and find out what they do in their everyday life.” Freshman student Evan Wiltscheck added, “I thought that this field trip was cool to be able to see all the different types of jobs.”  

“This field trip was really good for the kids to be able to explore different careers and find out what they do in there everyday life.”

— Mrs. Ruch

One station stuck out the most to Evan and the rest of the Freshman. That station was the Marketing station. At this station the Freshman filled out a fake checking account book and learned how to fill it out correctly and accurately. “The marketing station really taught me that filling out a check book was not all that scary,” said Evan Wiltscheck. “It was really fun to watch the Freshman learn how to do these real life skills,” said Mrs. Ruch.

Another activity that the Freshman participated in was an Animation on a computer. During this activity the 9th graders went on a computer and got to move and modify a cube on a computer. This showed them what you can all do with in getting an Animation job. “That would be such an amazing job, I think it would be fun,” said Wiltscheck.

The 9th graders also got to learn about an Art career. They also got to do an activity along with the career. They got to draw a body figure and write inside the body what they liked to do. “I never thought you could do Art for a living,” said Wiltscheck. Many students got to explore different Art fields and gather more information about an Art career. “It was really an eye opener to see you can actually do some of this stuff for a living,” Wiltscheck added.

This field trip was supposed to inform students on different jobs and careers that they could pursue, giving them a wide variety of jobs to watch and learn about what they do in their everyday life. “It was a great for the 9th graders to be able to experience and learn more about careers that they are not familiar with,” said Mrs. Ruch.