What’s Up With Those Senior Placement Classes?

The senior Placement classes offer seniors information to improve their post-high school future financially and academically.

February 14, 2018

A lot of people may get the impression that the NUHS seniors who take the Placement Intern and Placement Seminar classes are for ‘lazy’ seniors looking to get an hour off. If you take Placement Seminar, you also have to take Placement Intern class, which counts as your hour off. There’s a lot more to it than that, though.

Ms. Brandt, the teacher of these classes, was asked why it’s wrong that students take the classes just to get their 7th hour off. She answered that, “For the hour off, [students] have to document 90 hours of total work experience. 50 hours have to be from their own job, 40 hours have to be from an internship at a job they’re interested in having in the future.” So students can’t exactly be sitting around doing nothing with their time off school.

When asked what the purpose of the Placement Intern class was, she replied, “to gain experience and be prepared to find and keep a job in the future.” So this class can be very beneficial for anybody that takes it.

She also explained that this class helps students with things like filling out resumes, preparing for interviews and finding jobs, personal finance, college preparation (including applications and scholarships), and students are currently learning about budgeting for retirement as well as insurance policies.

While all this may sound a bit boring to high school students, it is a very beneficial class for students thinking about their future.