HAWAIIAN DANCE student council set up decorations for the upcoming dance (Hunter Kral )
HAWAIIAN DANCE student council set up decorations for the upcoming dance

Hunter Kral

Hang loose this Friday at NUHS – it’s a luau!

NUHS is hosting a hawaiian themed dance on Friday to help stave off a bit of the Minnesota Winter doldrums.

February 5, 2018

This Friday night the lower commons area will be filled with dancing high schoolers. The doors to the dance will open at 9:00 pm and close at 10:30. The dance will run until 12 am. The theme of the dance is hawaiian night. Everybody will be dressed up in hula skirts, floral shirts, and lays. The commons area will be decked out with hawaiian decorations.

We talked to Senior Student council member Connor Foley. We asked Connor who the DJ would be, and Connor told us that “Dan Backer will be the DJ again.” When asked about the school dance coming up on Friday he told us, “The dance will feature a photo booth, hawaiian decorations, and concessions.” The photo booth will also be available for use on Friday during lunch. Connor also told us that “the decorations will consist of tiki people, lanterns, lays, and grass skirts around the tables, to give it more of a hawaiian feel.”

We also interviewed social studies teacher and student council advisor Mrs. Gordon. When asked about the entry fee, she said: “The cost for the dance is five dollars, that helps cover the cost of the DJ. Students will need their school ID for proof that you are a student at NUHS. However, if you don’t have your school ID present, they can look you up, the process may take a little longer that way.” The doors will open at 9:00 pm and close at 10:30 pm. However, Mrs. Gordon stated: “If you cannot make it to the dance by 10:30 and you still would like to come you would have to make prior arrangements with Mr. Ziemer or myself.” For example, if you had to work, or if you are a member of the boys hockey team and you get back after 10:30, you could make arrangements and still be able to come. Mrs. Gordon also told us that students are encouraged to dress up and that they must follow the school dress code.

Information about the school dance and the dress up days is posted on the bulletin boards around the school. If you would like to request a song there are forms located on the bulletin boards. The concession stand at the dance will be worked by student council members; they will be selling candy and pop. When asked about the number of students expected to come, Mrs. Gordon told us, “The spring dance is usually a wild card, but the past dances this school year turned out really well, so I would expect a good turn out.” Everyone is encouraged to attend the dance – it will be a fun time for everyone.