A Wall with Impact

Students, teachers, and support staff add to the “gratitude wall” showing the things they are grateful for in their lives.

Ramsi Forst

Students Embracing Gratitude to make a Difference.

As students pass through the math wing at NUHS they see a striking array of colorful post-it-notes under the word gratitude. Each day students, teachers, and support staff contribute to the new “gratitude wall”  showing the things they are grateful for in their own lives.

“I don’t know how big of an impact it will make, but I know there have been a lot of little things that have happened.”

— Ryan Ziemer

The wall was inspired by a community event guidance counselor Mr. Ryan Ziemer attended earlier in December. The event focused on mental health issues in the community and eventually shifted to the idea of embracing gratitude. As National Honor Society advisor, he started the wall with NHS members on Friday, January 26th in the school auditorium.

The wall has a wide variety of areas students are thankful for in their lives with a majority of the notes saying friends and family. Student Council vice president Sarah Preisinger’s note stands out as she says she is thankful for the seniors because “they have made the last 13 years of school fun and I couldn’t have asked for a better grade to be a part of.” Each note, like that of Preisinger’s, is meant to make individuals cherish the things they have in their lives and to focus on the positives around them.

Ziemer said, “I don’t know how big of an impact it will make, but I know there have been a lot of little things that have happened.” He hopes to have “it grow like a wildfire” but it’s up to individuals of NUHS to make that possible.