New Ulm Girls Basketball spending an afternoon having a fun bowling competition. (Kendal Conrad)
New Ulm Girls Basketball spending an afternoon having a fun bowling competition.

Kendal Conrad

Girls Get Away

January 12, 2023

Basketball. The main reason why the New Ulm girl’s basketball team took a trip to Winona, Mn, on December 28, 2022. However, many other activities go on other than the main focus. From team meals to competitions, the following is a look inside a two-day trip to Winona with the New Ulm girl’s basketball team.

It was a late morning start as the team left for the trip at 10 a.m. Holding loads of excitement, the group of 18 varsity players, team managers and coaches loaded the bus at New Ulm High School. With the traditional seniors in the back, to first-year students in the front, the team got situated with their overnight bag, basketball gear and desire to have a great trip as a team.

New Ulm girls basketball team enjoys a meal at Whistle Binkies, a bar and grill in Rochester, MN. (Kendal Conrad)

The first stop as a team was at a local bar and grill in Rochester, Mn. With an odd name and traditional bar-and-grill food, Whistle Binkies was the spot for the beginning of team bonding. With a total of 19, driver included, the team enjoyed a meal before heading back on the road.

Another hour down, a total of three, the team arrived at the AmericInn in Winona. With game time right around the corner, the players headed to their rooms to unload their bags and change for the game against Winona High School at Winona State University. 

Later that night at the hotel, with a win on the team’s shoulders, there was a long night planned. The first item on the agenda was food. Gathering in the Lobby, the team lined up to grab a slice or two of pizza from a local shop around the area, Toppers Pizza.

With food and energy, the next event on the team bonding checklist encouraged a dip in the pool. With access to a pool and hot tub area, the team enjoyed relaxing in the water before heading to their rooms to shower off the day.

Snacks, teammates, and card games. The next item on team bonding. After the short separation, the first-year students, sophomores, and juniors slowly trickled into the senior’s room for a game night. For hours the team conversed, laughed and munched on different snacks while they enjoyed a card game until curfew at midnight.

Senior, number 11, Bryn Nesvold finds an opening to make a pass to an open teammate.

“I love spending time with my teammates bonding and creating stronger relationships and having some fun,” stated senior, number 11, Bryn Nesvold, before lights out.

The following day, December 29, the team enjoyed a good morning’s rest. The game was not until later in the day, so the team had plenty of time for more bonding and activities. With the bus packed again, the group headed to a cozy and filling breakfast at the Winona Family Restaurant.

Senior, number 33, Katie Wilker poses for her senior pictures in her New Ulm Girls Basketball jersey.

The next stop was bowling. Bringing out a more competitive side of the bonding experience was a competition for a trophy. Pitting each assigned room and its members against the other, the team with the highest overall score after two games would win bragging rights and the award. “Bowling allowed our team to work together differently while still building relationships. It was a great mental break from basketball,” said senior, Number 33, Katie Wilker. With a close call between the sophomores and juniors, the junior team took the prize.

The team had time to kill between bowling and playing the second game at Winona State. That time was spent on a Target run. Another competition unfolded as those who could find the highest and lowest priced items the fastest and message them to coach Rogers would receive a prize. While some took the opportunity to look around and shop, others participated in the activity and received number two pencils and eraser tops.

The New Ulm Girls Basketball ended their trip with another game and a bus ride home. “It was really good for us to be exposed to non-conference teams and enjoy each other’s company outside of basketball; I hope everybody enjoyed their time,” stated head varsity coach Julie Rogers. 

High school sports trips involve much more than the sport itself. It involves activities, competitions, and, most notably, a team that becomes connected.