Jonathan Wolkow and his recently modified lawnmower.

Small engines students fabricate racing lawnmower

Students can build anything with a little imagination

November 3, 2022

CTE center students have the opportunity to build something from their imagination, and with state-of-the-art equipment and access to tools, the possibilities are endless.

The students of the small engines class have free range to bring in any project from home or pick from countless mini projects there. They have the possibility of machining specific pieces that would otherwise be unavailable. Or they can also use the rotary machine to rehone a cylinder in an engine block. Students have a plethora of opportunities to work on projects especially due to the wide variety of tools and some that are more specific to certain jobs.

Levi Baumgard, Mark Beranek, and Jonathan Wolkow (Left to Right)

A recent project in Mr. Johnson’s small engines class is a student’s racing lawnmower. Sophomore Jonathan Wolkow has spent the past few weeks modifying an old craftsman riding mower to be built for sport. Jon and some of his fellow classmates have spent quite a few hours in the development of this project.

When asked about his favorite part Wolkow said, “It’s damn quick.” This mower had a modified pulley ratio, therefore greatly increasing its speed.

These modifications didn’t come without some minor complications, a blown clutch, and many shredded belts. All that comes with the enjoyment of working on your own project.