Intramural Basketball is back, barely

Intramural hoops held on by a thread this year but the seniors pulled through. There are 7 teams of boys and girls playing basketball to find out who's the best.

April 17, 2022

New Ulm intramural basketball used to be one of the most popular activities in the school but this year there was a struggle to get it started. The years before covid began there were 20 plus teams, for which two brackets were needed. This is the first year New Ulm Public High School started doing activities again after covid. This year there are only seven teams signed up; it was work finding enough teams to do intramurals.

The games for intramurals were supposed to start toward the end of March, but things couldn’t get settled until well into April. Student Council advisors Mr. Nelson and Mrs. Gunderson were disappointed when they had to announce that there were not enough teams to host the games this year. “I do think Covid played a role in not many teams signing up, kids were used to not really doing anything during Covid. The freshmen and sophomores did not have any chance to sign up for intramurals and it is very difficult to sign up for something you have not seen,” Gunderson said.

Parker Kapolczynski and Charlie Osbourne asked around the school for over a week to try and find people to create teams for intramurals. Pickings were slim, but eventually they were able to rally some troops. Most of the teams were seniors but a few younger teams are ready to roll.

Dylen Carreon is one of the players on Osbourne’s team. He was very excited that intramurals ended up staying on. Carreon played basketball up until freshman year and was disappointed he was not going to be able to make it back on the court this year. “Back in 9th grade, I was a really good three-point shooter and I have not shot a ball since two summers ago. I am not as good as I used to be and I’m out of shape but it’s great to be back,” Carreon said .

Gunderson and Nelson are hoping in the years to come more kids decide they want to try it out. “I think a lot of people came to watch the first night. I think people will realize this is a worthwhile activity. You can sit at home any night and hang out on your phone or binge Netflix but activities like intramurals are opportunities to get involved and hang with your friends. Those will be the memories you remember,” Gunderson said.