Work Experience student Anthony Snyder labors away at New Ulm High School to make sure the tables and chairs are properly arranged. (Tanner Dorschner)
Work Experience student Anthony Snyder labors away at New Ulm High School to make sure the tables and chairs are properly arranged.

Tanner Dorschner

Child Labor at New Ulm High School (EXPOSED)

September 20, 2021

Child labor isn’t always a bad thing. Every day at New Ulm High School, students in the Work Experience class are hard at work to learn valuable work skills for their futures. While they may not get paid, they do everything associated with a regular job, like clocking in and out, doing paperwork, and cleaning around the school.

While most people may see unpaid labor as a bad thing, the students in the Work Experience class have a different viewpoint on things. When asked if he believed the course would benefit his future, Senior Anthony Snyder said, “Yeah, in a way, because next week we are going out into the community to work for actual businesses.” As Anthony referenced in his quote, in the following weeks students will go out to local businesses like Hy-Vee to test their skills in more realistic work environments. Another bonus of the class is that if students do well enough, some businesses may offer jobs to these students, securing them a job after high school.