Varsity huddles up while playing Jackson on Saturday

Volleyball starting back up

The MSHSL confirmed last week that football and volleyball will return this fall

October 29, 2020

Two months ago students at New Ulm High school were finding out that there would not be any football or volleyball this fall. Students were hoping that they would be able to play this spring. Some students that were in football or volleyball joined other sports like tennis or soccer to keep busy.

Things have sure have changed. The MSHSL has confirmed that football and volleyball will be back this fall. They wasted no time in stating that practices will start that Monday. Each team only had one full week of practice before they have their first games the week after. There are many regulations and rules they have come up with for players, coaching staff, and fans during the time being. 

Junior volleyball player Natalie Yackley said, “We’re not allowed to celebrate anymore, or have any spectators in the gym so it’s going to be weird just having us in there alone”. 

A few of the new rules for this volleyball season are no spectators, which includes no parents, friends, or a squadron. At the beginning of the season, they had to wear masks for practices. And after points, your team is not allowed to cheer or huddle together in the middle.

“It was pretty tough having to wear masks while practicing. You can’t breathe very well and it’s hard when we are running or conditioning a lot” Natalie said. 

Not having a squadron this year is going to be pretty hard for the volleyball team to adjust to. The Eagle’s Squadron has been known for being loud and pumping the team-up. Natalie said, “Not having a squadron will be hard because they helped cheer us up, but now we will have to feed off of our own energy”

It has been a hard year for everyone. But being able to have sports has been helping many students enjoy their school year a little more.