The New Ulm High School gym sits empty before the season starts.

Winter sports are on for the year

November 2, 2020

The clock ticks down to the final seconds left, the crowd roars with excitement, the player shoots the ball, swish, a final buzzer-beater to end the game with a win.

We all know the feelings that sports can evoke from fans and players alike, joy, sadness, satisfaction, and the thrill of a close game. These are all normal feelings that every player and fan gets when they play or watch a sporting event, and for some students, it’s what they look forward to most in a sports season.

Hunter Sehr, a senior basketball player at New Ulm High School said, “[Sports are] awesome, since [they] give everyone something to watch and do.”

On Sept. 21., the Minnesota State High School League approved seasons for volleyball and football teams across the state. However, there was still uncertainty as to whether a winter sports season would take place and what it would look like. The decision was eventually made on October 1. where the Minnesota State High School League voted on having a winter sports season. The vote passed, with some new rules and guidelines being put in place.

These new guidelines include having a reduced season to include roughly 70 percent of the original games, including a shortened overall season between 13 to 17 weeks depending on the sport, and no spectators being allowed in any indoor facilities. Despite these new rules, players still have high hopes going into this year.

Joey Gag, a senior hockey player, said, “I’m just happy to have a season this year with all of the uncertainty.”

However, despite having a regular season, there is no current plan in place as to whether or not a section tournament or a state tournament will take place.

Gag said, “[We’re] just going to follow all the regulations and keep playing for as long as we can.”