CTE EXPO

BABY BABY- FACS teacher Mrs. Christian provided examples of the “babies” that would be available to take home during the Child Development class!

Recently the cafeteria at New Ulm High School became occupied by tag boards, teachers, and students for the Career and Technical Education (CTE) Expo. For this Expo, which is now in it’s second year, teachers from every department provided information about the classes that they teach. While not every class had a board – those that are required classes tended not to have a spot in the Expo – the majority of electives were present for viewing. For those with more hands on classes, such as Pastry & Design and Basic Woods, examples were provided of what would be made in class.

YUM!- Mrs. Christian set up some examples of delicious goods that were made in her Pastry & Design class.

To get the point of view of those who actually take the class, most teachers had a couple of their students attend the Expo. This way, those who are interested in said classes get more of a look into the inner workings of the curriculum.

So who was this Expo for exactly? Well, it was for more people than you probably think. First off, this Expo was open to the public. So, anyone who was curious about what goes on in New Ulm High School or just wanted to take a peek at the architecture could pop in as they pleased. Secondly, the Expo is for 8th graders who are going to be thrust into high school in less than a year. After eating lunch, the rowdy 8th graders raced to ask questions about classes in subjects such as Medical Science,

ANKLE BREAKER- Senior Madeline Gag and Junior Olivia Wick demonstrate an ankle wrap on Junior Ally Steffensmeier. This is taught in Sports Medicine by Mrs. Olson

FACs, and Agriculture. Senior Jayden Pettersen, who was there to represent Child Development and Pastry & Design, answered many questions about how it is like to take care of a small fake baby for a weekend. “A lot of kids wanted to touch the babies and wanted to know everything about how they work,” Pettersen said.

For the Marketing class, taught by Mrs. Ruch, Sophomore Sandy Chen had an example of the kind of things they are learning. According to Chen, they learn how to market things, hence the name, and then create things to demonstrate said knowledge.

WOW- 10th grader Sandy Chen poses in front of her resort project.

“I made a board for a resort,” Chen said. On her project it provides information in order to persuade the viewer to like the resort.

The Expo allowed for current students to show off their work, for future students to get a taste of what high school classes they have to choose from, and for outsiders to sneak a peek at the inner working of New Ulm High School.