Guiding Eagles to Soaring Heights

Mr. Mark Bergmann continues to encourage a positive learning environment to promote academic growth in NUHS students.

FACE OF NUHS – Bergmann continues to bring all administrative aspects together to ensure a successful academic school year.

As each school year comes to an end at NUHS there is a dedicated individual who sets out to prepare for another successful upcoming academic year. Mr. Mark Bergmann, NUHS principal, is the backbone that has kept the high school a flourishing building for the last fifteen years. Bergmann continues to meet the needs of students, teachers, support staff, and guests to ensure a thriving learning environment to prepare students of all aspects to enter the world as contributing community members.  

Bergmann attended high school in Blaine, Minnesota where he was actively involved in football, wrestling, and baseball. After graduation he went on to continue his education and obtained his undergraduate degree in Biology Education from Heron University. He then set out to obtain his masters degree in Sports Administration from Western Illinois University. Bergmann was determined to be the best teacher he could be, so he decided to pursue an additional two degrees after obtaining his masters.

Bergmann said, “I never wanted to be a principal I really just wanted to be a good teacher.” He wanted to make an impact on students and he knew administration would not give him the connection he wanted; therefore, he never had a strong desire to take a lead position. Although Bergmann had no interest in administration, his previous district superintendent had seen desirable qualities in him that had made him a qualified candidate for an upcoming principal opening. Bergmann was assigned into the administrative position for ten years before accepting the job he now holds at NUHS.

Bergmann decided to take the opening at NUHS as he knew it was a “very prestigious school.” Classified under his job description, he is responsible for finances and budgeting, teacher observations and evaluations, special education direction, and planning of upcoming school years and events. Bergmann said he faces a wide array of challenges, but the hardest challenge is “moving teachers from where they are at to where we want them to be because that is what’s going to move students, and our students are the most important.”

Although Bergmann never dreamed of leading a high school, he has a been a great asset to District 88. Among the thousands of students he has led to academic success is Dominic Sunstrom. Sunstrom said, “Mr. Bergman is understanding and willing to work with you and help you reach your goals.” Bergmann not only continues to push students into becoming the best individuals they can be, but he also strives to make the building a welcoming learning environment to promote academic growth. He understands the needs of the school are great, and he is always adapting to the changes that arise to meet the needs of the individuals who are a part of the building. Senior Hunter Kral said, “Mr. Bergmann is understanding of our wants and needs, and he is always willing to listen to new ideas and opinions.” 

“Mr. Bergman is understanding and willing to work with you and help you reach your goals.”

— Dominic Sunstrom

The goal of administrators is to put the needs of students first and encourage academic success in a positive learning environment. Bergmann said, “If teachers are willing to change and become better that will make our students better.”