Students Get an Idea of What it’s Like to Purchase a Home

Classes at NUHS attempt to better prepare students for life after college.

On March 20th, students from the Personal Finance class in the business department at New Ulm High School got an opportunity to visit a house that was on the market at 1821 Ashland Road in New Ulm. The students met up with Kim Hansen, a realtor for New Ulm Real Estate LLC, who walked them through the process of looking at a home. The students were allowed to explore the home just as a potential buyer would. Kelsi Ranweiler, a student in the class, said that she “found this opportunity very interesting.” Ranweiler has never gotten a chance to do something like this before because her family has lived in the same home for her whole life.

Kim Hansen also came into the class the following day to talk to the students about buying and selling homes. She also talked about what it takes to become a realtor, the steps of putting in an offer on a home and how sellers choose an offer to take when multiple offers are made. In addition to these things, she also briefly explained to the class the pros and cons of owning vs. renting a home. Ranweiler believes she “will be able to use the information in the future to help with the home buying process.” From this experience, students learned many tips and tricks to help the home buying/selling process go smoother, and they got a chance to feel what it is like to search for a home.