Holao Brings Diversity to NUHS

Fadlan Holao, current foreign exchange student, brings an Indonesian cultural influence to the town of New Ulm

FIERCE+FASHION+Holao+poses+in+his+styling+outfit+

FIERCE FASHION Holao poses in his styling outfit

Every year New Ulm High School brings in a few foreign students through an exchange program, hence the name “foreign exchange students.” This year we were fortunate to have two students—one from Spain and another from Indonesia. Fadlan Holao from Jakarta, Indonesia arrived here in Minnesota in September. Not knowing what to expect, he had the warmest welcome from his host family. Holao describes his family as the nicest family in this town, “They really care about me and pretend I’m like their own son! I’m really happy to be part of their family. They’re never even mad at me. They always teach me for everything and always give me an information about anything and that’s what I need.” 

Being from Indonesia, Fadlan Holao went through a huge culture shock when he first arrived here in New Ulm. He faced challenges of learning a new language, experiencing a new culture, trying new foods, and meeting new people. Holao said, “For the first time it’s kind of hard because the languages here and in Indonesia are so much different and no one can speak Indonesian here. But because of that I can learn other culture and improve my English and that’s my mission to take this program.”

The education system in Indonesia is much different than that of the United States. Holao describes that in Indonesia they are not able to choose electives. Instead, they learn fourteen different subjects throughout twelve years. 

Many of those who have gotten to know Holao recognize his unique sense of style, ability to sing, and 40K Instagram followers. He inspires everyone bringing new fashion to the town of New Ulm. His favorite hobby is no secret. Everyone is amazed by his powerful singing voice. In his spare time he enjoys “making videos for YouTube or maybe taking pictures for endorsement because I earn money from both of it.”

Holao has impacted the choir program at New Ulm High School in many ways. He along with three other students in the New Ulm Public System joined to learn barbershop quartet music which was very new to him. He did a solo at Large Group Contest and received many praises. Choir teacher Mrs. Horning said, “His voice was perfect for the solo. It was a Swahili piece. Again another language, he is already learning English.”

Holao is also participating in Ditties and Deserts in which he is performing a solo. “Fadlan has been a leader at this school. The fact that he has come to a school where he does not even know our language and has gone above and beyond, and then learn music he was never educated in – that’s impressive. He never had the opportunity to be in choir back home,” said Mrs. Horning, although he has studied with a vocal coach in Indonesia. Fadlan Holao is by far one of the more unique exchange students we have had within the past years. He is an inspiring individual.