209 stories in two hours

Are you prepared?

April 1, 2018

New Ulm High School’s students present The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon, a play containing 209 Disney stories, such as Cinderella, Snow White, Rapunzel and The Devil’s Grandmother, with a dark twist.

The cast and producer, Mrs. Thursby, have been working hard to prepare for their opening night, March 16. But, there is a long process between auditions and what is seen on stage. The cast was picked following auditions in January. After each student was given their part, a few of them chose to read the hefty story to learn more about their character. Lines came soon after. With each student having to play multiple parts, there were many lines to memorize. Ellie Wilker, a sophomore, is cast as many princesses and even as the devil’s grandmother.

“I like running lines with other students,” Wilker said. “I learn better when I feed off of their lines.” She adds, “When I’m not with the cast I read through a section, then cover it up and concentrate on each line.”

Opening night is stressful for all of the cast. They come in an hour before showtime to warm up their voices, go over their lines, place their props, prepare costume changes and put their makeup on.

Sarah Longtin
PREPPED AND READY the cast puts on their makeup in preparation for the play

Wilker is excited: “This is my first comedy production, and I want to see the reaction of the audience,” and she loves the story-line.

The play was performed on March 16th and 17th at 7:00 pm. The cost was five dollars or free with your student ID. Did you keep up with these fast-paced fairy tales?